Lightning Bolt Starts Fire in Rochester Home
Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - A lightning strike is being blamed for an overnight fire in southeast Rochester.
Fire crews were sent to a home at 4538 Maple ST SE around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday and arrived to find smoke coming from the roof vents. Fire Department Battalion Chief Eric Kerska says the lightning bolt woke up a woman and her adult son who live there. Their phone wasn’t working so they left and asked a neighbor to call 911.
The lightning strike started a fire in the attic and also damaged electrical components in the home. Besides the attic, the master bedroom was also damaged. There was also water damage to the main floor and basement.
No injuries were reported.
Kerska says the preliminary damage estimate was put at $30,000.