Pine Island, MN (KROC AM News) -  A fire broke out Thursday at a rural home a few miles south of Pine Island.

A woman returning to the home around 3:45 PM opened the front door and saw the fire near the chimney. The 52-year-old went inside in hopes of rescuing her two dogs but was forced to back out because of the heat and smoke.

Pine Island firefighters arrived and put out the fire - and saved the dogs.

No word on the extent of damage. The house is located at 7525 117th ST NW.

News Update:  Minnesota Health Dept releases update report on flu activity.

Get local and national news on the go.  Download our News-Talk 1340 KROC-AM App

// – available on Apple and Android devices.