Rochester Schools Report No Large Walkouts
Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - There were no signs of any large student walkouts in Rochester Friday.
Students at schools around Minnesota and the country were expected to take part in a nationwide full-day walkout to mark the 19th anniversary of the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado. It was also meant to focus media attention on gun reform issues.
Some students were seen leaving Rochester’s Mayo High School around 10:00 AM when the walkout was to take place but it’s not known if that’s what they were doing.
Rochester Public Schools spokeswoman Heather Nessler says organizers of the walkout held last month after the Florida shooting indicated they were not planning one for Friday. A parent of a Mayo student was told a traditional “senior skip day” had been planned for Friday.
The district had notified parents earlier that any student who left school Friday would be “counted as an unexcused absence, unless a parent calls the school stating the absence.”
Get local and national news on the go. Download our News-Talk 1340 KROC-AM App //krocam.com/app/ – available on Apple and Android devices.