Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - A quick response by the Rochester Fire Department prevented what could have been significant fire damage to a home near Silver Lake Park. A statement from the Fire Department says firefighters responded to a general fire alarm at 717 14th Street Northeast just before 7 p.m. and detected the smell of smoke outside the residence. After determining all of the doors were locked, the fire crews forced entry and found a plastic container on fire on top of an electric cooktop that had been left on.

The burning material was taken outside and extinguished to minimize the damage inside the home. The overall damage, including the glass broken out of a door to get inside the house, was estimated at $1,000.

The home was vacant at the time, but a spokesman says the occupants arrived home while fire crews were still at the scene.

With updates at the top and bottom of the hour 24 hours a day, Tune in to Newstalk 1340 KROC-AM for the latest local and national news.