Minnesota Terrorist Recruit Has Surrendered in Somalia
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A former Minnesota man who gained notoriety for tweeting about jihad and calling for violence on behalf of the Islamic State group has turned himself in to authorities in Africa.
Mohamed Abdullahi Hassan left the U.S. in 2008 at the age of 17. Authorities believed he joined al-Shabab. Earlier this year, he sent out tweets urging violence under the name "Mujahid Miski."
The U.S. State Department said Monday that Hassan surrendered Somalia's federal government on Nov. 6. It wasn't immediately clear why his arrest wasn't announced earlier, but the information was provided as The Associated Press asked questions about Miski's case.
State Department spokeswoman Pooja Jhunjhunwala says Hassan is in custody in Somalia. The U.S. doesn't have an extradition agreement with Somalia, and additional details weren't immediately available.