MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — A U.S. resident who's in custody in Somalia has denied that he's part of the Islamic State group and said he left al-Shabab in 2013 because it was unjustly killing people.

Mohamed Abdullahi Hassan spoke with Voice of America by phone Tuesday from prison.

The U.S. State Department says Hassan surrendered to Somali authorities last month. Hassan, who was known for tweeting jihadist comments under the name "Mujahid Miski," left Minnesota in 2008 to join al-Shabab in Somalia. He faces terrorism charges in the U.S.

He tells Voice of America (http://bit.ly/1ICIMCd ) that al-Shabab members raided his home last month. He escaped but was later arrested by the government.

He also says he has no plans to return to the U.S. to face charges.