Burglar Killed in Fire was Drunk and High on Meth
INTERNATIONAL FALLS, Minn. (AP) — Authorities say a northern Minnesota man who entered a convenience store illegally and set a fire earlier this month died of smoke inhalation.
The Koochiching County Medical Examiner also says preliminary toxicology screenings show 26-year-old Colton Tammi had amphetamines and alcohol in his system.
The Sheriff's Office released more details about the Jan. 13 break-in and fire at Y Knot Quick Stop southwest of International Falls.
Authorities say that while a deputy was getting gas, Tammi called dispatchers and said he could see a deputy and would shoot him. Tammi didn't disclose his location, but one call was traced to the convenience store.
Deputies saw him light the store on fire. The sheriff's office says he refused to leave. His body was found inside after the fire was put out.