97-Year-Old #RochMN Woman in the NAMIWalks on Saturday
Saturday was a hot hot day, and one woman stayed inside and walked in the air conditioning for NAMIWalked 2017. I think you'll forgive her. She's 97!I caught up with her as she was walking, but didn't have time to be interviewed. At all. "I do this every year and this year I have a new hip, so I'm on the walker. But I'm busy walking dear..."
She had places to go and things to do and I was just slowing her down. I love it. We all do need to keep moving, stepping forward. Sometimes we need help doing that, and that's what Saturday was about.
I had a hosting the NAMIWalks 5k with KTTC's Caitlin Alexander. The walk brought in over $40,000 this year. A little over 200 walkers got together, shared some time, and raised the money to support...
- Peer Counseling, where people that have been thru it are there to help.
- Suicide prevention classes, teaching how to hear someone crying for help.
- Mental Health First Aid classes so you'll know how to talk to someone in crisis.
- CIT training so law enforcement knows how to interact with someone in crisis.
- A Speakers Bureau, so your group, students, or business can hear stories and better understand what people right here in Olmsted County are dealing with daily.
And there's so much more. So many things NAMI does, and they're right here in Rochester at NAMI Southeast Minnesota.
I'm even available to talk to your group, just contact NAMI at the link above, or call 507- 287-1692. Tell 'em you'd like James Rabe to present and they'll get it done.